Sunday, March 11, 2012


Hello to all, I realize I am a few days behind, even though in reality I am ahead of your time zones – but cannot seem to get up to date. I guess there is too much to do and too little time. In addition, I have been posting daily on Facebook and I have been getting many responses from old high school friends and many colleagues. Responding to all has been keeping me busy.

It is the end of th...e first school week and while I am sitting here typing, I am listening to 4th year high school students summarize orally in English, the life of famous American authors. I am amazed at how well they speak and with their ability to explain their opinions and thoughts in English. Using and practicing critical thinking skills is an integral part of the educational process in Italian schools. Their accent is British, because most of the Italian teachers teach and learn the British written style and accent. The combination of their Italian and British is quite charming to hear.

We have a full morning of classes, however, during a brief break, we cross the street in front of the school. There is a small negozio where formaggio is being made in the back. They invite us to watch and offer samples – delicious! …..and ever so fresh! The volunteers have settled in like the professionals they are; they are conversing comfortably with the students and very innovative in their topic selections. All in all, this has been an excellent first week and I am grateful to both of them for making my position here as good as it can get.

We are free of tutoring this afternoon, so we plan an excursion to neighboring towns of Alberobello, Cisternino, and Ostuni, the city where I lived in 2003. We also tour an ancient restored masseria. It is difficult to describe the spectacular Italian country side in any season; however, late winter, early spring is probably my favorite. The weather is not quite warm, however, the greenery is just starting to bloom and the wildflowers are a sight to behold. The towns we visited are incredibly picturesque and the trulli in Alberobello make the city a UNESCO historical site. We traveled by private car, so the ride was comfortable. We lunched in Alberobello; sampled olive oil at the masseria; and, and arrived at the Hotel Clio in time for dinner. Why is Italy all about food! I still have not forgotten the antipasti – another time. Arrivederci per adesso.

- Phyllis

No comments:

Post a Comment