Friday, September 28, 2012

A Mid Week Reflection


Wednesday, September 26, 2012


As I stepped off the train in the Monopoli  station after having spent a weekend  away,  I felt a comforting sensation that I'd arrived back home.  HOME !! What a welcoming feeling after only living in Monopoli for so short a time. For me it was evidence at how our experience with Global Volunteers has integrated us so intimately into the community.


If the first week passed as a film in slow motion, this second week seems to be a one played in fast forward. We've all became acutely aware that our time was passing all too rapidly. Our schedules seemed to become filled with activities such as attending local concerts, accompanying students to a conference in Bari, playing a pick up game of soccer with the local high school girls and hosting a gathering with some of the adults who we have been tutoring.  And as usual, Rita our teacher at the liceo continued to find opportunities for us to absorb more of Puglian life.

And there are the students! How heartwarming to see them greet us on the streets and smile at us when as we enter each of their classrooms. 

As I start thinking about my departure from Monopoli, I look at each student differently and can't help but wonder what life will hold for each one of them. I can hope only good things! 

Written by Kathy 


Our Thought For The Day 

 "Be the change you want to see in the world" Mahatma Ghandi

Shared by Jan



Volunteers With Italian Teacher
 Piazza Vittorio Emanuele - Center of Monopoli
 

No comments:

Post a Comment