Thursday, June 30, 2011


As I walk through the streets of Monopoli, I think back on our two weeks here. It seems like just yesterday Currie and I were making our way into the city and trying to find our Hotel Clio. All we knew was that it was on the Adriatic Sea. Now the streets have become so familiar that I feel a part of the community. At breakfast after all the announcements, we sang Happy Birthday to Valerie and gave her a card signed by all of the group.
Everyone went to their groups at the different schools. I feel like such a local as I walked to the patisserie for the bread for our picnic. There were people lined up in the shop to pick up their bread and pastries for the day. A nice Italian lady helped me explain what all I wanted since I was getting cookies for Carmen's party tonight as well. The picnic was held down at the dock by the beautiful Adriatic Sea. We feasted on sandwiches made with different types of meat and cheeses, fresh fruit, and a surprise birthday cake for Valerie. Everyone seemed to enjoy our time together. Some of the church group will leave early tonight in order to drive out to Carmen's for dinner. She is so nice to do this for us. We are all looking forward to seeing her Masseria. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner at Carmen and Vito's. It included delicious pasta with seafood, a nice dish with tuna and vegetables, and a shrimp dish, a type of potato salad, meats, cheeses, cookies and fruit for dessert. We were all so stuffed! Everyone was so nice and friendly. We all enjoyed their hospitality.
-EK

No comments:

Post a Comment